Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Una Fiesta Tipica

Sarah and Kendall (my roommates)
Arnold and Edy
Saturday was our schools Fiesta Tipica. It was a big party in the park to raise funds for our school, and our school in La Union. All of our staff dressed up in typical Honduran clothing, and sold food and drinks in different huts that were made just for this event. The day was filled with lots of beautiful and colorful clothing, music and dancing, and delicious food and drinks. My group sold papusas, ticocus, and talmates in our hut. We were a busy hut, but because I dont know a lot of Spanish I just did a lot of saying "papusas, ticocus...etc" to get people to come to our hut and buy our food.   But all in all, it was a LOT of fun serving everybody. Some of the grades at our school even performed cultural dances, which were fun to watch too. It was a beautiful day overall, and fun to play dress up for the day! The La Union school has their Fiesta Tipica in February that we will go there for too. 

With my assistant Mrs Delmy
Daniel, Antuane, and Oscar
In addition, school has been going well...well I lied on Monday it was bad...Tuesday it was better... and Today was GREAT! It seems like every week it takes a while for my students to get use to the routine again after the weeked. We are working on a lot of discipline things because last year they had none. It is hard to train students who are in such a habit to get into a good habit again. We are working on it a day at a time. I am very impressed with how well my students are picking up English. They are able to hold a decent conversation and answer questions. This week we are focusing on the word family -ack. The kids seem to enjoy the activities we do...like singing and doing the hand claps of Miss Mary Mack.  I also had them take a sack home and fill it with -ack things like the color black or a snack. I think they are finally getting it (maybe its only cuz today was a good day at school for the kids... but yes I have faith that tbey will get better and better).

The weather here has been great. Its been pleasent enought be be in our lovely uniforms and not swet too much. I enjoy going for runs home from school, walking to the store, or sitting in the local coffee shop (outdoors) and doing papers and homework.

Well, I think that is all that is going on right now. I hope all is going well. I miss you all and will see you over Christmas!
Jennifer, Tabitah, Jaime, Kendall, Stacey, Kristi

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kiley, Glad to hear your kids are learning English well. How is your spanish coming? You becoming quite fluent? Looking forward to seeing you at Christmas! Brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brother Bear, You are a faithful Commenter! I always love hearing from you! My Spanish thus far is not very good, but I am still working on it! I start tutoring with one of the childrens mom on Tuesday so hopefully that will help! See you sooN!!!

    ReplyDelete