Sunday, October 30, 2011

Feliz Cumpleaños a Mí

Wow, I cannot believe that it is almost November and almost my birthday. I'm used to having frigged weather mixed with a few snow flakes. Honduras is anything but snow. But, before I get talking about my birthday  I will tell you about my week and weekend.

I never thought it would happen, but everyday at school gets a little better. Everyday it is a challenge to keep the children doing what I want them to do, but they are definitely learning my expectations. My first graders are so cute, but they are very sneaky. I had an issue with one of my students stealing from my desk this weekend and another one of my students cheating. I have a hard time explaining the concept to them about stealing and cheating and why it is wrong, but I went to the administration to talk to them about it and they are going to call their parents. I hope they will learn their lesson so I don't need to worry about it.

For devotions in my class we are memorizing Psalm 23. I am very impressed with how quickly they are picking up each verse. We will be on verse 4 next week...so I hope they can learn that one as well. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for songs or music that would be helpful in my classroom I would love the advice. Working with these ESL students I realized that it is so important to use music as a tool for teaching. The kids memorize and learn things a lot more quickly with music. So, if you have any kids praise song ideas or music for instruction I would love to hear your ideas.

Our whole group after our drama.
Alright, enough about my week. This weekend has been very eventful. The youth group in Gracias, which consists of a few Abundant Life kids, but mostly public school kids had a camp out this weekend. I was blessed to be apart of the camp by being involved in a drama. I had the part of death, but I tried my best to pull it off in my all black and with my knife and gun.
My 8th grade student, Angelica

The  cabin we stayed in. No hot water and bugs on the wall.
We also were in charge of supervising the High schools and helping with serving the food and starting the fire. Shannon, the missionary here, gave the message for the night. He did a great job focusing on how there are many distractions and sins in our lives that consume us. We need to get rid of them and focus only on Jesus. We spent the night at the camp and woke up early to walk back to Gracias down the mountain. (an hour walk). Kendall and I got back to Gracias in time to go to a Breast Cancer Walk. There is a group of people from Canada who are volunteering at the hospital for three months. They put on this walk so it was fun to get to know them better.


On Saturday night, I was really craving a salad. Of course, I convinced Kendall, but my other roommates refusing, to go out to eat with me...even though she had other ideas. We went to the nice hotel down the road where they serve delicious salads. She convinced me to split a salad with her. We ate our salads and she kept talking to the other teachers that live here. I didnt think much of it as we continued to eat. After eating, we headed over to Tabitha's and Stacey's house were we ran into some more people going to their house. Still oblivious to what was going on we entered the house, before we knew it everyone was singing happy birthday to Tabitha (Oct 31) Zak (Nov. 3) and me. I see a table full of food....too bad I just had my salad. Of course, if you know me I can still eat more. So I got two suppers last night. But, the fiesta was not over yet. Of course, all the other teachers got me my favorite... a dream come true... a Pinata. Just what I wanted for my birthday. Our birthday party was complete! Food, Candy, Pinita, Cupcakes, and friends. I thank the Lord for all these blessings. I had a wonderful birthday party... a little early but definitely worth it!!!


Emma, one of my first grade students.

The Birthday Kids.

What a great way to start a birthday week. Plus, I got a new hat. Love the clown!



No comments:

Post a Comment