Well, to be honest going back to school was not high on my priority list. I came into my time back fairly negative. Yes, I was excited to see my students and have routine again, but I was not not expecting my students to have changed so much. By the grace of God my students seemed to have made a complete 180. Not only in my first grade class but also in my 8th grade class. All the students have matured so much and have been trying so hard. Maybe it was me that had changed as well. Christmas gave me more of an open mind to think of new ideas and implement them into my classroom. The new year has made me a new person.
Over Christmas I went and observed in a first and eight grade classrom at Sioux Center Christian (thank you Mrs. Wierenga and Mrs. Broers). I enjoyed talking to them and getting new ideas on how to teach my students. I am not going to be the most perfect teacher, but as long as I am trying and continue to re-evaluate each situation I am doing all I can to the best of my ability that God has given me.
In my classroom, I run a "card" system which means green is good, yellow warning, orange not good and red go to the office. Well, if all my students stay on green all day I would bring them a treat the next day. Of course, this week they stayed on green ALL day and they got a treat from me. They were so excited (I never thought this day would come)! However, the next day because they were so excited they were not the best listeners. Well, I guess I live and I learn. What works and what doesnt work. I love my kids dearly, and I love Honduras. I know that this is where God wants me and he is working through me. I hope I can continue to be a blessing on my students and I thank God for the blessings they have been on me.
Thank you for all the love and support everyone back home has blessed me with! Have a blessed weekend and I will write again soon. Also, sorry I dont have any pictures to update on my blog...I guess this was more so a blog of reflection, thankfulness, and growing. Happy New Year!
Glad to hear things are going better than expected! We miss you though! Alexa keeps asking why you had to go back!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
(and by the way -- I beat both Micah & Jena with this comment!) ;)
Hope everything is going great! I am bummed that I wasn't the first person to comment but I'm glad I beat Micah! (I will be first next time Caryn, watch out!) :-) Love you!
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't check the blog in a few days :-) Does Sean ever read this? Comment Sean!!! :-) Have a great week Kiley!
ReplyDeleteMicah